Senior Executive Profile
~ Over 25 years of success in driving profitable, sustainable, and scalable growth ~
- Leverage world-class best practices to formulate strategies, institute strong financial controls, develop marketing and business development plans that revitalize both domestic and international operations.
- Excel in interfacing with clients, championing turnaround efforts, and delivering results that exceed expectations.
- Equally strong in training, mentoring, and empowering staff, fostering culture of individual accountability, and introducing performance-based incentives.
Business Development w New Product Development w Sales & Marketing Strategies w P&L Management
Project Management w Financial Planning, Reporting & Analysis w Turnaround & Change Management
Staff Training & Development w Mergers & Acquisitions w Organizational Restructuring w Budgeting
Three Mountain Consultants Jeffersonville Vermont, 2017– present
Three Mountain Consultants offers the outsourcing of a company’s finance function (Part Time CFO), ranging from basic to high-end services – or a combination of both. Three Mountain Consultants offers as few, or as many, of the functions you would get from hiring a full-time accountant or CFO – without actually having to hire one.
- Our program is designed to assist any size enterprise in numerous executive level decisions that the business may run into.
- Three Mountain Consultants responds to business challenges where a Chief Financial Officer solves individual corporate financial needs by using proven strategies and tactics allowing you to focus on the core competencies of your business.
- The goal is to relieve the company of both the management and overhead costs related to accounting functions, providing speed, accuracy and efficiency which will help management track the company’s financial position.
- Our experience has helped business from start-up to established companies in finance and accounting, as well as in business operations and marketing. We also specializes in financial reviews, business plans and projections, cash flow and most importantly in profit margin improvement, cost reduction, credit problems, and turnarounds.
Fred’s Energy ² Derby Vermont, D&C Transport Orleans Vermont 2013 – 2017
Fred’s Energy is a heating oil, propane, kerosene, diesel fuel, and gas distributor to 10K commercial and residential customers. D&C Transport sells and delivers heating oil, propane, kerosene, diesel fuel, and gas to 1K commercial customers.
- Hired to do hedging for both companies and prepare and present management reports.
- Recorded entries for all hedging contracts.
- Convinced Fred’s Energy to modernize and change their advertising.
- Prepared Daily Pricing Reports
- Initiated weekly manager’s meetings, and prepared weekly agendas.
- Conducted training sessions with CSRs on selling pricing programs.
- Prepared monthly and annual Snapshot Reports which showed gallons sold and margin per gallon sold, compared to previous year and to budget, for both companies.
- Solved D&C’s two year banking reconciliation problem and created a process to reconcile the banks monthly.
- Initiated a proper D&C monthly inventory count required for correct monthly and annual statements.
NG Advantage (NGA) Milton Vermont 2012 – 2013
Delivers compressed natural gas to end users who geographically cannot connect to pipelines in the US, with a virtual pipeline by using specially pioneered trucks.
CFO & VP Finance
Hired at the startup, to create an accounting system, budgets, management reports, and to use my relationships with banks and finance companies to help finance capital purchases.
- Developed a cost accounting general ledger.
- Created 5 year pro-forma financial statements to be presented to potential investors.
- Developed a cost control budget comparison accounting system, for all major capital projects and expenditures.
- Prepared and submitted financial reports to VEDA (Vermont Economic Development Authority) for a successful grant obtained.
- Introduced Vision Finance to NGA, and obtained capital financing for trucks to deliver the natural gas.
Bournes Energy Morrisville, VT 2005 – 2012
Heating oil, propane, kerosene, and diesel fuel distributor to 5K commercial and residential customers.
Hired to improve processes, examine services and construction procedures, and establish individual accountability. Direct all financial reporting requirements for banks, auditors, and company management. Prepare monthly financials, variance analysis, and monthly financial snapshot. Maintain margin projections on liquid sales, service labor, and parts sales. Lead team of 10 direct reports.
- Tripled EBITDA in five years project SOP and incentive plan that nearly doubled hourly average labor rate, increasing margin per gallon sold, and acquiring two companies which expanded footprint from one location to four branch offices.
- Created action item list for management and sales meetings, drafted company mission statement, and wrote supervisor performance appraisal.
- Positioned company for future salability, while cutting inventory processing and posting time in half by persuading majority and minority owners to two companies to merge them.
- Strengthened internal credibility and professionalism, while enabling lines of credit to increase in line with increasing fuel costs and business growth by providing bankers and suppliers with variety of schedules, documentation, projected business plans, and cash flow statements to support financial statements.
- Reduced customer complaint call log and significantly improved customer relations by initiating concept of sales team calling on customers to inquire about service quality and resolve service/billing complaints.
- Dramatically reduced deliveries to non-paying customers by hiring, training, and collaborating with Credit Manager to rewrite and enforce new credit policy.
- Established standard, oil and propane, prepaid, budget, and variable contracts for residential and commercial customers by partnering with sales force to review and rewrite existing program contracts.
- Facilitated effective company management by identifying reliable heating software program required to generate administrative reports.
- Played key role in customer acquisition and business development by introducing large ski resort that became major propane customer.
- Built culture of accountability and ownership among all employees, while driving profit improvements by instituting employee profit sharing plan and eliminating Christmas bonuses.
- Exceeded margin projections and budgets for all residential committed oil and propane gallons by creating budgets and projections allowing monthly variance analysis and corrective action implementation.
- Increased technician billable hour percentage by creating and implementing incentive plan.
KPMG Burlington, VT 2000 – 2005
Global network of professionals services firms providing audit, tax, and advisory services with 140K professionals in 146 countries worldwide.
Business Development Manager
Collaborated with audit and tax departments to develop new business and introduce potential clients to firm.
- Transformed local KPMG culture by creating marketing- and sales-driven atmosphere through marketing and business development planning, plus internal auditor training in company and service marketing.
- Drove Burlington office to exceed all annual sales goals through internal training sessions, external networking seminars, relationship building with local professional firms, and new market development in Plattsburgh, New Hampshire, and Montreal.
Vale Harmon Enterprises Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Vancouver, Canada 1985 – 1997
Manufacturer’s representative to Canadian railways and Canadian ship building industry, as well as designer/developer of communication systems for North America’s mass transit industry.
President & Majority Owner
Embraced opportunity to restructure previously family-owned business into organization with international business capabilities. Directed leadership team of eight managers, plus staff of 100+ employees. Managed OEM relationships and service delivery to customers including Canadian National Railway, Canadian Pacific Railway, St. John Shipbuilding, Federal government, Toronto Transit, Bombardier, General Electric Locomotive, Los Angeles Transit, New Jersey Transit, Long Island Railway, and Dade City Transit.
- Revitalized acquired distribution business to attain 225% increase in gross profits by adding new accounts, solidifying contractual relationships with all OEMs, offering volume discounts, reducing inventory, increasing inventory turn, and improving pricing policies.
- Drove 500% increase in operating income by transforming company from distributor to ISO Certified international manufacturer of transportation communication systems with sales tripling in one year and reaching $18M annually within 4 years. Developed communication system, obtained government grants, installed state-of-the-art engineering offices, labs, and production facilities, built high-performance, incentive-driven sales and marketing team, and signed contracts with Transit Authorities in seven major North American cities.
- Met all ISO requirements by implementing production process, quality programs, and delivery systems.
- Built three multimillion-dollar communication systems for Toronto Transit, Bombardier Transit in Los Angeles, and Bombardier Transit in Dade County.
- Delivered world-class service to both customers and suppliers by establishing customer service department.
- Negotiated sale of company to NASDAQ publicly traded company.
McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada
CA (Canadian CPA) Honors in Auditing & Taxation
Sir George Williams University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bachelor of Commerce Honors in Accounting & Economics